Learn about Health Statistics in America. Learn about the growing obesity rates and the billions of dollars a year it cost.
Adult Health Statistics
- 2 in 3 adults are considered overweight or obese.
- 1 in 3 adults are obese.
- Obesity caused illnesses is the second most preventable cause of death in America. Smoking is first.
- Obesity caused illnesses kill over 300,000 people a year.
- More than 1/3 of American are obese. About 35% – 78.6 million. US Population 300 million.
- Medical cost of obesity almost doubled since 2008, to $300,000,000,000 a year.
- Higher income women are less likely to be obese than lower income women.
- Non Hispanics blacks have the highest obesity rate at 47% and Asians have the lowest at 11%.
- Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia have a obesity rate of more than 35%.
- California, Colorado, Hawaii, Vermont, Massachusetts and DC have the lowest obesity rate. 20% – 25%.